Saturday, June 8, 2013

Harrison- Happy 3rd Birthday!


Dear Harry-

Happy 3rd Birthday, my sweet boy!!!!

Last night, your dad and I were up plotting how to make the 30 minutes we would have with you before work extra special. At three, we figured this would be the first year you would care that we made a big deal out of your big day (and you had been telling us for MONTHS that your birthday was on May 14th). We decided on a streamer “carwash” outside your door, and a chocolate doughnut for your birthday breakfast…of course complete with candles and a birthday banner. At 6:32, we checked in on you and you were still FAST asleep. I decided to have Dad wake you up, so he didn’t miss out on the fun, and what followed was pretty typical of you as of late. You immediately started crying and told us, “it is not my birthday”,  and “I don’t want it to be my birthday.” BACKFIRE!!

You calmed down enough to notice the doughnut, got over the fact that we made you blow out the candles, and perked up with the help of some chocolaty, gooey goodness. You have not been a huge fan of eating right away, so I am not sure why we thought you would be on May 14th, but we figured the doughnut would be enticing. You are still a somewhat picky eater: no ground meat, red sauce (except ketchup), hamburgers or pizza. You really love dairy: cheese, milk, chocolate milk, yogurt, ice cream, string cheese, cottage cheese, etc…. You will usually eat your fruits and vegetables, and you would be happy if every meal consisted of a peanut butter sandwich or chicken nuggets. Doughnuts, however, are ALWAYS a go!

You are SUCH A BIG BOY!!! You have not gained very much weight. I actually think that it was only 4 or 5 pounds in a year! You have, however, grown taller! We haven’t had the official doctor’s appointment, but I know that you are MUCH taller than the 36” limit that you need to pass to sit on a lap at the Twins game, or ride on some of the bigger rides at amusement parks. You have lost a lot of the baby fat in your face, making you look like such a grown up little boy.

I call you my sweet boy because you are a very caring kid. You notice when other people are sad, or not having a good day, and you seem to try and make them feel better. You can be sensitive, but I think that helps you understand when people are sad around you. You are a good listener (most of the time, of course). Other people often compliment us on how well you listen to them. We see more of the “independent” Harry than I think a lot of the world does, so we are glad to know that when mom or dad are around you know what is right and what is wrong. You have become such an independent little boy. You want to do all the things you can for yourself, but when you are tired…WATCH OUT! All of the sudden, you turn into a child who has completely forgotten how to do anything for himself. You have definitely perfected the ‘whine’ and the ‘fat lip’, but only use them when you feel that you really need them.

When I look back on the past year, I can’t even fathom all that you have learned. You can count to 20 (though you usually add an eleventeem where fourteen should be), and you say all the letters, and point out almost all of the alphabet letters. You know all your colors, and shapes. You have been learning to sing more and more songs- a few favorites right now are Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Jesus Loves Me and The Itsy Bitsy Spider. You LOVE to read books, and I don’t imagine it will be all too long before you start reading to us, as you already memorize books to share with us. The list could go on forever…

We are blessed by everyday that we get to watch you learn and grow. We are so proud of the little boy you are becoming and cannot wait to see what adventures you will take us on next!

Love, 
Mama (and Daddy, too)





"How old are you today?"







No comments:

Post a Comment